Choosing Your Delivery Method
1. Try capsules to ensure a consistent dose.
CBD oil capsules are pre-measured, making them a convenient and discreet pain-relief option. As long as you choose a product that’s been lab-tested to verify the concentration and purity, this is the most reliable way to get a consistent dose.
- You can find capsules online for purchase here.
- If CBD oil is going to help you, you should feel the effects of the capsule in about 30 minutes.
2. Use a tincture if you want to take CBD oil orally.
CBD oil tinctures typically either come with a dropper or in a spray bottle. If you have a dropper, measure out 1-2 drops of the tincture and squeeze the drops under your tongue, then hold the drops in place for about 30 seconds before you swallow. If the tincture comes in a spray bottle, spritz the tincture one time on the inside of each of your cheeks.
- You can find CBD oil tinctures online for purchase here.
- If the CBD oil works for you, you should start to feel some pain relief within about 15-30 minutes.
- You can also put tinctures in your drink if you don’t care for the taste. However, it will likely take 30 minutes or more to take effect.
3. Apply a CBD balm directly to the area that hurts for targeted relief.
CBD extracts are often mixed with a substance like beeswax or coconut oil to create a balm. You can then massage this balm into your skin wherever you’re experiencing pain. You may feel instant relief, but you’re more likely to notice a difference after 30 minutes or more.
- Topical massages with CBD oil may be especially helpful at relieving neuropathic pain and pain due to inflammation.
- If your CBD balm doesn’t work, consider trying a different carrier. For instance, some people may find a balm made with coconut oil more effective than one made with beeswax, and vice versa.
- You can also try a higher concentration of CBD if your balm doesn’t work.
4. Consume an edible made with CBD oil if you don’t mind waiting for the effects.
When ingested, CBD oil can take 2-4 hours to take effect. However, the effects tend to last longer than with other forms. Edibles come in many forms, including CBD-infused honey, drinks, brownies, cookies, and gummy candies.
- You can find edible gummies online for purchase here.
- Edibles are especially helpful for widespread pain and soreness.
- CBD may make the edible taste faintly of grass, although it might not be noticeable in edibles with stronger flavors like chocolate.
- It can be very difficult to maintain a consistent dose with edibles. The amount and concentration of the CBD oil can vary between products, or even between batches of the same product. In addition, the way your body metabolizes the edible can be influenced by things like the time of day when you take the dose, as well as any other food you’ve eaten that day.
5. Opt for a vape for quick delivery, but be aware of the risks.
CBD oil is often sold in cartridges designed to fit on vape pens. The vape pen heats the CBD oil until it comes to a boil, and you inhale the vapor that’s produced. You’ll feel the effects almost instantly, but the long-term effects of vaping are still being studied.
- Because vapes use CBD oil in high concentrations, it’s easy to accidentally take too high of a dose. High doses of CBD oil might lead to fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, and irritability.
Warning: Vaping may lead to lung and respiratory issues, shortness of breath, and chest pain.
6. Choose a commercial CBD oil with third-party lab testing.
No matter what type of CBD oil you decide to try, it’s important to ensure that the label accurately lists the product’s concentration, active ingredients, extraction method, and purity. The best way to do this is to choose a product that has been tested by an independent laboratory. Typically, the results of these tests will be posted on the website of the company that made the CBD oil.
- If a product does not list this information, consider choosing a different brand.
- You can find full-spectrum CBD oil options for commercial use easily online. Popular brands include: Just CBD, Green Roads, CBDfx and CBDistillery.
- If you’re looking to alleviate pain and sleep better, you can also try a CBD sleep oil.
- To ensure you don’t choose a product that contains harmful chemicals, opt for a CBD oil that was extracted with CO2.