Administering CBD for Cough
1. Use a CBD oil tincture for fast results if it doesn’t bother your throat.
A tincture is the fastest way to get relief, so it might be your best bet if you’re hoping to stop a cough. To use a tincture, measure out 1-2 drops using the eyedropper that came with your product. Squeeze the drops under your tongue and hold them there for 30 seconds before swallowing.
- You can find trusted CBD oil options online here.
- You’ll likely feel the effects of the CBD in 15-30 minutes if it works for you.
- Some tinctures are sold in a spray bottle. If yours is a spray, apply 1 spritz to the inside of each cheek.
- Tinctures come in different flavors, so choose 1 you like.
Variation: You can mix a tincture into your favorite beverage if you prefer. For instance, you might put 1-2 drops of tincture in a warm mug of tea with honey to help soothe your cough.
2. Take CBD capsules for an easy option that won’t irritate your lungs.
- You can find CBD capsules in a dispensary or online here.
- If they work for you, capsules typically take 30-90 minutes to become effective.
3. Experiment with CBD edibles to see if they work for you.
- If the first edible you try doesn’t work for you, try a different brand to see if you get different results. Everyone is different, so you’ll need to find the products that work best for you.
Tip: Since sucking on a hard candy or lozenge helps a dry cough and sore throat, choose hard candies that contain CBD when you’re treating a cough. This allows you to try 2 natural treatments at once.
4. Try inhaled CBD to open your airways if your doctor approves it.
- Stop using the vape pen immediately if your cough gets worse.
- You can purchase a vape pen battery and CBD cartridge at a dispensary, smoke shop, or online. The battery is the base of the vape pen, while the cartridge is the part that holds the CBD oil.
Warning: Vaping may damage your lungs and respiratory system. Additionally, scientific evidence shows it might cause shortness of breath and chest pain.
5. Start with a 10 mg dose of CBD but increase it as needed.
- You likely won’t feel the effects until you take at least 30 mg.
- Keep in mind that CBD doesn’t have an upper threshold, so you don’t need to worry about overdosing. However, you might experience side effects like diarrhea and fatigue if you take a dose that’s high for you.