- In any web browser on a computer, press Ctrl + Shift + N (PC) or Command + Shift + N (Mac).
- Chrome for Android or iPhone/iPad: Tap the three dots at the top-right or bottom-right corner, then tap New Incognito tab.
- Safari for iPhone/iPad: Tap the two overlapping squares, tap the number of tabs at the bottom, then tap Private. Now tap + to create a new private tab.
2. Install Mercury Reader for Chrome or Edge.
- Once the extension is installed, head over to a paywalled article you want to read. Then, click the puzzle piece icon at the top-right corner of your browser and select Mercury Reader.
This free web-based tool can remove the paywall from many news sites. You don’t have to install anything, and you can use the site on any computer, phone, or tablet. Just go to, paste the URL of the article you’re trying to read, and click or tap Remove Paywall.
- While 12ft.io isn’t guaranteed to work for all news sites, it has a pretty good success rate for most of the sites we’ve tried.
- Once the content loads, you’ll see a notification asking you if the paywall is gone. You can help the developers by selecting Yes or No on the notification.
6. Paste the headline into Google.